Stainless steel is also known by other names such as CRES or corrosion resistant steel, Inox steel. Stainless steel components are Iron, Chrome, Carbon, Nickel, Molybdenum and a small amount of other metals. This component is present in varying proportions in different varieties. In stainless steel, the Chrome content must not be less than 11%.
Some important physical properties of stainless steel are listed below:
- Stainless steel is a hard and strong substance.
- Stainless steel is not a good conductor (heat and electricity).
- Stainless steel has a high tenacity. This means it can be easily shaped or bent or drawn in the form of cables.
- Some varieties of stainless steel have magnetic permeability. They are very interested in magnets.
- Resistant to corrosion.
- Cannot oxidize easily.
- Stainless steel can maintain the cutting edge for a long period of time.
- Even at very high temperatures, stainless steel is able to maintain strength and resistance to oxidation and corrosion.
- At cryogenic temperatures, stainless can remain difficult to change.